HarperCollins – Win an Ipad and a Harpercollins Book Pack
Terms and Conditions
Schedule to the Terms and Conditions
Competition Kids News Short Story Writing Competition 2020, proudly supported by
Promoter HarperCollins Publishers Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 36 009 913 517) of Level 13, 201 Elizabeth Street,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Entry Restrictions 1. Entry to the competition is open to all Australian resident students from Kindergarten to Year 9
studying in an Australian school.
2. If an entrant is under 18 years of age, they must obtain the permission of their school and
parent or guardian before entering this competition.
3. All entries must be submitted by a registered teacher from the entrant’s school and entries must
be accompanied by a signed Permission to Publish and Consent form signed by a parent or
Competition Period Competition Commences: 9:00am [AEST] on Monday, 11 May 2020
Ends: 5:00pm [AEDT] on Friday, 3 July 2020
Entry Details (Clause
1. Write a short story on any theme or topic of your choice:
(a) For entrants in school years 5-9: Your short story must be between 500 and 1000
(b) For entrants in school years Kindergarten-4: Your short story must be between
250 and 750 words.
2. Parent of guardian to complete the Permission to Publish and Consent Form; and
3. Classroom teacher to submit your short story and Permission to Publish and
Form via the online form located at www.kidsnews.com.au
Maximum Number of
One entry per person.
Judging Details The 1 entry that is judged by the Promoter’s panel of judges to be the best, most original and
creative in each age category (Kindergarten-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-9) will each win the Main Prize.
The next 1 entry that is judged by the Promoter’s panel of judges to be the next best, most
original and creative in each age category (Kindergarten-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-9) will each win the
The next 3 entries that are judged by the Promoter’s panel of judges to be the next best most
original and creative in each age category (Kindergarten-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-9) will each win the Highly
Chance plays no part in determining the prize winners.
Main Prize —
1 each for:
Main Prize No. Of Prizes
1. 10 copies of your winning short story published
into a printed book with a personally designed
2. An Apple iPad (32GB, WiFi)
3. A HarperCollins book pack consisting of books
(valued at $100)
1 each for:
Runner-Up Prize No. Of Prizes
1. A HarperCollins book pack consisting of books
(valued at $100) 1 $100
Prize Total: 12
3 each for:
Highly Commended Prize No. Of Prizes
1. A HarperCollins book pack consisting of books
(valued at $50)
Prize Restrictions In the event that any of the prizes become unavailable, the Promoter reserves the right to
provide a similar product to the same or greater value as the original prize, subject to any
applicable laws or written directions made under applicable legislation.
Winner Notification Unless advertised differently, the prize winners will be notified by phone, email and/or mail at
the end of the competition period and by no later than 14 October 2020
Winners’ names to be published on kidsnews.com.au
Rights in Your Entry A non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free licence to reproduce all or part of the Entry in any
format or medium for educational and promotional purposes.
To publish the name, age, and school of the entrant in connection with the Competition.
Terms and Conditions
1. By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Any
instructions relating to the Competition on the Promoter’s Website form part of these Terms
2. Any capitalised terms used in these Terms and Conditions have the meaning given in the
Schedule, unless stated otherwise. In the event of any inconsistency between the Schedule
to the Terms and Conditions (“Schedule”) and these Terms and Conditions, the Schedule
will take precedence.
3. The Promoter may in its discretion refuse to award any Prize to any entrant who fails to
comply with these Terms and Conditions.
4. Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions. An entrant of the
Competition must be an individual and not a company or organisation. Directors, employees
and their immediate families of News Corp Australia Pty Ltd or HarperCollins Publishers
Australia Pty Ltd, and their associated agencies and companies are not eligible to enter.
Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or
step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-
grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first
5. The Competition will be conducted during the Competition Period. Any entry received after
the expiry of the Competition Period will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for
late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
6. To enter the Competition, entrants must complete the Entry Details during the Competition
7. Entrants can enter the Competition only once, which is the Maximum Number of Entries.
Each entry must individually meet the requirements in the Schedule and are subject to the
Entry Restrictions. The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of
entries and Entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to
disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process. Failure by the Promoter to
enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
8. The entrant(s) whose entry is judged by the Promoter’s panel of judges to be the most
original and creative (and any judging criteria set out in Judging Details of the Schedule) will
win the Prizes. The Promoter and its panel of judges may, in their absolute discretion,
decline to award any or all Prizes, including where the judges determine that the entry is not
of publication standard. Chance plays no part in determining the Prize winners. Decisions of
the Promoter and its panel of judges are final and will be binding on each person who enters
the Competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. The Prizes will be awarded as specified in the Schedule. The Prize values are the
recommended retail value, are in Australian dollars and are correct as at the time of the
commencement of the Competition Period. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any
variation in the Prize value.
10. The Promoter will not be responsible for any additional costs associated with use of the
Prize. The Prize winner is responsible for all costs associated with using the Prize including
(if applicable) travel and/or transfer costs, expenses with respect to food and beverages,
travel and medical insurance costs, data costs and spending money.
11. If a Prize is available in various locations, the Prize winner is only eligible to claim the Prize
in their nearest capital city. If the Prize occurs in the Prize winner’s home city, the Prize
winner will not be eligible to receive any accommodation or airfares (which may otherwise
have formed part of the Prize).
12. If the Prize is date specific, the Prize winner must be available to redeem the Prize on the
dates stipulated by the Promoter. If the Prize winner is not able to redeem the Prize on that
date, the Promoter may determine another Prize winner in its absolute discretion.
13. No component of the Prize can be transferred or redeemed for cash.
14. All Prizes are subject to availability. In the event that any of the Prizes or part of a Prize
becomes unavailable due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control, the
Promoter reserves the right to provide a similar product to the same or greater value as the
original prize, subject to any applicable laws or written directions made under applicable
15. It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner (and any guests participating in using
the Prize) must comply with all the conditions of use of the Prize and Prize supplier’s
16. If the Prize includes flights, entrants agree that:
a. the Prize does not include transfers to and from the winner’s place of residence to the
departure point and transfers between the accommodation and airport (unless
otherwise specified in these Terms and Conditions);
b. the flights must be utilised at the same time, for the same travel dates, to and from the
c. no frequent flyer (or equivalent rewards program) points will accrue to the Prize winner
(and any guest participating in using the Prize) on the Prize flights or accommodation;
d. the booking time of the flights will be determined by the Promoter in its complete
discretion and blackout periods may apply including all public holidays.
17. If the Prize includes accommodation, it is a condition of accepting the Prize that the Prize
winner may be requested to present their credit card or a cash deposit upon arrival at any
accommodation to cover all ancillary costs they may incur during their stay. For the
avoidance of doubt, the Prize winner acknowledges that the accommodation part of the Prize
includes room charges only (and no ancillary costs such as room service).
18. If the Prize involves tickets to an event, the Promoter is not responsible for any changes in
times or dates, or cancellations or rescheduling of events that may prevent the Prize winner
from redeeming the Prize or any part of it.
19. Unless advertised differently, the Prize winners will be notified in accordance with the Winner
Notification details in the Schedule. Please allow at least twenty-eight (28) days from the
date of notification for the delivery of the Prize.
Rights in Your Entry
20. Entries will not be returned to the entrants.
21. To be eligible for a Prize your entry must only include original material created by you or
material which you have permission to use, which may be included in your entry.
22. By submitting your entry to the Promoter, you grant the Promoter and its licensees and
a. the Rights in Your Entry specified in the Schedule; and
b. the right to publicise, broadcast and communicate to the public your name, character,
likeness or voice for any promotion or matter incidental to the Competition with no
compensation to you for such use.
23. You understand and agree that your entry may be edited or adapted at any time by the
Promoter for legal, editorial or operational reasons.
24. As a condition of accepting the Prize, the winner must sign any legal documentation as and
in the form required by the Promoter and/or Prize suppliers in their absolute discretion,
including but not limited to a legal release and indemnity form.
25. To provide you with this Competition, the Promoter needs to collect personal information
about you. If you do not provide the information requested, the Promoter may not be able to
provide you with the Competition entry.
26. You agree that, subject to the Privacy Act, the Promoter or its agents may do the following
a. transfer personal information confidentiality to organisations that provide services in
relation to this Competition;
b. publish the winners’ names as set out in these Terms and Conditions and as required
under applicable law; and/or
c. use the prize winners’ personal information in any media for publicity purposes
associated with the Competition without any further payment or other compensation,
unless the prize winner otherwise notifies the Promoter at the time of accepting the
27. Entry details remain the property of the Promoter, and their related entities and are
collecting the entrant’s personal information for the purpose of conducting and promoting
this Competition (including but not limited to determining and notifying winners). The entrant
may request access to his or her personal information by calling the HarperCollins Privacy
Officer on 02 9952 5000.
28. Any attempt to interfere with the normal functioning of any Website or to otherwise
undermine the legitimate operation of this Competition is prohibited and will render all entries
submitted by that entrant invalid.
29. You warrant that:
a. your entry is your original work, and to the extent it is not, you have obtained the
b. all details provided with your entry are true and accurate;
c. you have all necessary rights to grant the Promoter the rights granted under these
Terms and Conditions;
d. use of your entry by the Promoter, in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, will
not infringe the rights of any third parties;
e. your entry does not breach any law; and
f. your entry is free from viruses and similar destructive programs.
30. You agree to indemnify the Promoter against any loss or damage resulting from any breach
of the warranties above and acknowledge that the Promoter may, in its absolute discretion,
not award the Prize to you for breach of the warranties above.
31. You acknowledge that the Promoter is under no obligation to use your entry, and any
reproduction and/or communication of your entry to the public by the Promoter (in
accordance with these Terms and Conditions) is at the complete discretion of the Promoter.
32. You acknowledge this Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or
associated with, Facebook. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this
Competition must be directed to Kids News and HarperCollins rather than to Facebook.
33. If there is any event that prevents or hinders the Promoter’s conduct of the Competition or
the Promoter’s ability to deliver the Prize to the Prize winner(s), the Promoter may, in its
discretion, cancel the Competition and recommence it at another time under the same
34. The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, or for any failure
of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition, or for any
technical error that may occur in the course of the administration of the Competition. The
Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect,
delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or
unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
35. To the full extent permitted by the law, the Promoter will not be liable for any delay, death,
injury, damages, expenses, or loss whatsoever (whether direct or consequential) to persons
or property as a result of any person entering into the Competition or accepting or using any
Prize, including without limitation non-receipt of any Prize or damage to any Prize in transit
and the Prize winner’s failure to comply with the terms and conditions (if any) specified by
any third party.
PERMISSION TO PUBLISH – 2020 Kids News Short Story writing competition
Name of Entrant:
School Year: ______________________________________________________________
Title of story:
Entrant’s address (for prize purposes only):
Phone: ________________________ Email:
Name of parent or legal guardian:
I, as the parent or legal guardian of the Entrant (who is a minor or lacks capacity), give
permission for the Entrant to enter the 2020 Kids News Short Story writing competition
(Competition) and acknowledge that I have read, understood and agree to the Terms and
Conditions of the Competition.
I give permission for Nationwide News Pty Ltd (publisher of Kids News) and its related
companies (together referred to as News Corp Australia) and HarperCollins Publishers
Australia Pty Ltd to reproduce all or part of the entry on the Kids News website,
HarperCollins website, relevant News Corp Australia websites and printed mastheads
and social media channels for educational or promotional purposes.
I give permission to publish the name, age, and school of the Entrant in connection with
the Competition or any of the above uses.
Signature of father/mother/legal guardian (Circle one)